DIY software dynos - anyone use these?

I've been looking at StreetDyno <http://www.tweecer.com/StreetDyno/>,
and RoadDyno <http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/roaddyno/>, and it's DIY
brother,
HomeDyno <http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/homedyno/homedyno.htm>

Cool concept using WAV sound files created using inductive pickups (timing
light pickup), and then computing torque to get hp numbers (by counting
spark pulses of an acceleration run through the rpm range with car data
including weight, gear ratios, etc.)  Basically measuring the acceleration
of the car rather than a drum on a standard dyno...

Anyone use these?  Comments?

I downloaded the StreetDyno prerelease software, and I'm getting some weird
results using the provided config and wav files so I don't know if I should
shell out the $50 to buy it...

A nicer/cleaner version using real-time datalogging straight to a laptop
would be cool though - rather than record WAV files, load them into the
computer and then analyze them...  Seems a little mickey mouse...

Any better solutions out there?

Thanks!

Mark.
80 S