Assembling my engine

Ok, lets see here...

-First off make sure EVERYTHING is very clean.
-Wire wheel EVERY bolt that you're reusing to achieve proper torque
-Make sure all oil galleries are blown AND brushed out.  R&R any gallery
plugs so you can brush the whole gallery
-Make sure all bearings are installed in the correct location (the package
the bearings came in usually has directions which numbers go where).  Use
one piece thrust bearing, not the three piece.
-I use a blob of white lithium grease on all bearing surfaces - assembly
lube is fine too.
-Check ALL bearing clearances with plasti-gauge.
-Crank spin freely when torqued down?  How about the camshaft?  If not,
strike with a brass or aluminum drift at several spots (near the bearing) to
"seat" the bearings.  Sometimes there are some high spots that need to be
flattened.
-Check axial play on both shafts.
-After mounting pistons on rods check to see that the rods are straight and
not twisted - adjust if needed (machine shop will have a setup to check
this)
-Check rods for size and "roundness"(big end), recondition if needed.  If it
were my engine I would take about .003" off each cap and recondition them
all.
-Use new rod bolts (arp if you've got the extra cash) some will argue this,
but better safe than sorry...
-When installing pistons put rubber boots on the rod bolts (or use tape) so
you don't mark up the crank
-Lube the cylinder walls with non-detergent oil before installing pistons
(dry if you're using Total Seal rings)
-If you're putting new frost plugs in, use a bit of teflon thread sealant
(not too much though!)
-EASY ON THE SILICONE!  A loose chunk of silicone can block an oil passage
and cause MAJOR damage
-Use all new seals, and make sure they're installed correctly
-Stock head gasket will be fine for 82mm bore
-Use new head bolts (arp studs if you're going to be removing the head for
mods in the future)
-Everything still clean? - cover everything if you're doing the build up
slowly
-Use a new oil pump (upgrade to the 36mm one while you're at it)
-Source a windage tray or oil diverter dealie (stock ABA one is nice)
-Use rubber oil pan and valve cover gaskets.
-Prime the oil pump before you crank it over the first time.
-Have a oil pressure gauge attached when you first start the engine to make
sure you have good pressure.
-Run non-detergent oil for the first 500-1000 miles or so.

I'm sure there's lots I'm forgetting, but I gotta run...  I'll add more to
this list later if I remember...  :)

HTH,

Mark.
80 S