full thottle switch

The manual for my multimeter reads thusly:
WARNING: Do not apply voltage to the test leads when the range witch is set to a DCA position. Doing so blows the fuse, and the meter stops working.

While this sounds suspiciously like a translation from the Japanese, I think what it means is (and this is in keeping with what Toby says...)  DON'T SHORT ACROSS THE TWO LEGS (+ AND -) OF A POWER-ON CIRCUIT WHILE SET TO AMMETER

By the way, how can a meter NOT receive voltage if it's reading amps??????????????  i.e. one MUST have voltage in order to have amperes.   Right, Toby?  Allyn?

Larry

  okay could we get over the "this is what I mean" for a moment

  I have an miliam meter, 2 leads, the test plugs has 2 prongs....

  question: why would it blow the fuse?