Tips for Cleaning Upholstery?

I scored a decent set of tan recaro fabric from a mk2 to redo the A1 GTi seats that are currently in my cabby (many thanks to Mark Hausler for busting his butt to remove them for me at the yard). They're pretty dirty, though they could be considered "clean" since they came out of a yard...

Anyway, has anyone tried to clean their seats (with any success)?

A buddy of mine (a list lurker) has a hand-held steamer, but that seems like it would take forever.

- Washing machine?

- Mount on frames, scrub and air dry?

thanks in advance!  JT