Oil and filters...

Pardon my naiveness, although I have learned a lot from the list, when compared to what I still don't know, it's next to nothing.  Anyway, if an oil filter is not tight enough, will it keep a seal for a while (like 3 days) and then blow?  I was on the way to work this morning (fortunately only 5 minutes from home when it happened) when I noticed a big blue cloud behind me.  I'm so happy I'm a regular mirror checker.  At first I thought it must be someone else as I had just done emissions in July and aced it.  But when everyone else had turned off the road and it was just me, it was still there.  I pulled over and looked under the front end.  The car was hemorrhaging oil from the front of the pan.  I'm assuming it's from the filter.  Being in work clothes, I didn't get under and check, but after checking the oil, I found it had lost about half a quart in about 3 minutes.  Is this what happens if the filter is not on tight enough?

Secondly, other than being a pain to take it off the next time, is there anything wrong with over-tightening the filter?

BTW, I got it home with no issues and parked it.  I will be looking at it tonight when I get home from work.  And thank the powers that be that I didn't get around to getting rid of the POS Pontiac last week.

Mike
'86 red 16v ("Careful!  I'm a bleeder!" - Jim Carey, "The Mask")

word (wûrd)
interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to something. Sometimes used with up. Source