Help! Dropping an oil pan

Do you recall me having to go help my kid with "two (no offence to anyone's
sexual preference) bolts?" on the Jetta? These are the  bolts he had issues
with, the sockets we had were just too deep to sit on the head right. (1/4"
drive too, they were just too deep for those two bolts between the tranny
and the oil pan.) I used a combo of small open ended wrenchs for a while,
then we both got real sick of it (each wrench moved it about 2 degrees) and
we ended up grinding material off the end of a real cheap socket we had, so
it's now a super shallow socket. That and a 1/4" universal and extension
seemed to work. But I bet a set of wobble extensions would have done it. So
when the "what to do when your tranny is off?" question comes up, I guess
"oil pan gasket" is in there with motor mounts.

Adam never did get his gasket done, the oil return line was the sticking
point. Then the car thanked him by blowing a hole in the rad and spewing
coolant. I think it hates him. Or '87s are evil.

Cathy