balancing.

Dan's on the money- diesels get better mileage because there's more
energy in diesel fuel AND the diesel engine is more efficient.  On top of
that, VW diesel flywheels are pretty much the same as their gas
counterparts, except that they have a O degree TDC timing mark.

Big diesels have big flywheels because they're big-ass engines with long
strokes and low idles, and as Dan said the inertia in the rotating
flywheel keeps the engine idling.  Large, low revving gasoline motors
(such as one might find in an antique tractor, for example) also had large
flywheels for the same reason.

Drew