Stuck - removing alternator with old-style A/C

Thanks, Max - but I've already got the full array of allen sockets and keys.

I ended being able tp break it loose by feeding the socket on a 3" extension through the inline hole there - had to place it from the bottom, but turn from the top - lotsa fun. But I did have to remove one of the A/C mount brackets to get enough span on the ratchet (which the damn Bentley doesn't mention!  >:(

Even then, once I got the alternator off, it's still impossible. The entire compressor needs to be moved to get at the upper water pump mount bolts. Great f*cking design...

If the idea wasn't to keep this car original, I'd switch to the Sanden compressor setup so fast...I have all the parts too...

Oh well - I'm going to crash. After working on the car for 10 hours, cooking dinner and doing the dishes, I am _wiped out_

Thanks again - JT

Max Tremblay <maxwarhole@yahoo.com> wrote:
Jeff, do yourself a favor and get yourself a 6mm allen
socket . I consider this a absolutely necessary tool
to work on VWs. while your out shopping pick up a 5mm
too. Sears has them in 3/8 socket format.

you'll be able to pop that sucker with a torque bar if
you use a 1/2 --> 3/8 converter.

My friend was taking his alternator out in his bunny
today while i was taking out his driveaxle, and i was
looking at him struggling, and told him "hey, get a
6mm allen socket". it'll be very useful for the crank
pully too, and if you have to work on a VR6 at some
point it'll be a godsend.