model differences

--- Jason <jason@scirocco.org> wrote:
> At 11:38 PM 10/21/2003, E.Noval wrote:
>

> >Two model questions for people in the know:
> >

> >1.) What year or VIN did VW switch from the 140mph
> speedo to the 160mph
> >speedo?
>
> I don't know if VW necessarily switched from one to the
> other, though the
> 1988s without the upshift indicator light generally
> (IIRC) have the 160
> speedos.

This hasn't been my experience - FWIW I've seen more '86.5
Scirocco 16vs with the 160 than any other.  It basically
boiled down to what was in the parts bin on the day the car
was built.

> >2.) What year or VIN did VW change the seats from the
> full leather to the
> >leather-with-cloth-inserts?
>
> They didn't.  Leather seats were an option for the
> Scirocco -- it was never
> standard equipment.  The cloth seats do not have leather
> bolsters - they're
> vinyl.

But only on the 16v.

To clarify, the standard 16v seats were the cloth with
vinyl bolsters, leather being an option.  The 8v had cloth
all-over seats standard.  I think leather was offered as an
option, at least early on.  Leather was standard on the '83
Wolfsburgs.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, 90 Passat Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '80 Scirocco S, '82 Scirocco.
"We fear things in proportion to our ignorance of them."  Livy.