turboing an 8v

A "regular" diesel would be normally aspirated, not turbocharged... :)

But you are correct, mine is indirect injection (uses pre-combustion
chambers,) not direct-injection (TDI.)  Passenger car implementations of
diesel engines generally sacrifice the "ideal" diesel compression ratio
(around 16:1) for cold weather starting performance.  Computer controlled
direct injection and the resulting combustion chamber design (reduced
surface area to limit heat loss) allow for lower compression ratios on
the TDI, which in turn increases turbocharger efficiency, while still
maintaining excellent cold weather starting characteristics.  IN order to
maintain cold start capability on the IDI diesel technology, VW used a
quite high compression ratio, which in turn reduces the power output of
the engine.  Although I could shave my piston tops to reduce compression
ratio and increase power, I'm not ready to take the plunge because a) I
can't afford it, and b)  although my TD Scirocco is a summer ride, it
performs standby duty for the winter beater (in case I wrap it around a
tree or a snow plow or something.)

Drew