turboing an 8v

I got this from a "stickie" at vwsport.com IIRC. I had to clean up lots of
spelling and grammar garbage. It's definitely not the only way to go, but
it's a good start. If you're patient and savvy, you should be able get all
this crap for around $600 or so. Also hit the Vortex and vwsport FI Tech
sections and read, read, read:
_____________

I'm making this a sticky for people that are looking for an "easy" way to
make 200 hp. It's just about as "how to" as you can get without someone
holding your hand.

Stage I

1. Find a low mileage 8.5 compression 8v 1.8 - any old golf will work just
fine.

2. A G60 head or any digifant head will do. Sometimes making a deal for the
head and fuel injection off a Corrado, which is what you need next, can save
money.

3. Fuel injection from a Corrado, the ECU harness and all the sensors.

4. A throttle body, with provisions for throttle switches such as a G60, any
late model Golf GTi, or 16v.

5. Just about any Garret T3 turbo will do. Good ones are on intercooled
Saab900s, Ford turbo coupes, Volvos and mid 85-86, Nissan 300zx ones are
about the best one you can get, but you'll need to swap out the exhaust
housing because it's an odd bolt pattern and the standard Ford/Saab style
wastegate assembly won't bolt up to it.

6. A turbo manifold from www.8vturbo.com - they can supply feed and return
lines for oiling and a bolt-on oil pan too.

7.Ok, now for the fun part - a set of ARP or similar head studs.

8. A Corrado three-layer metal head gasket.

9. A garret stage-4 chip for a g-60 and a Porsche 944 fuel pressure
regulator and possibly a 260? cam, but a stock one will work fine.

9.5 A blow-off valve off a first generation eclipse or and aftermarket one
will work fine

10. Ok, now that you've got the fuel and the boost, you need something
strong to light it off. Go for a set of Audi 1.8t plugs. They fit well and
have a good heat range. Stock g-60 plugs will work but are expensive.

11. A MSD box (a 6a or 6al) is highly recommended and will work wonders.
Trust me, you'll love it.

12. A good set of plug wires. (I highly recommend Magnacore 8.5's)

13. A boost controller - I like manual ones like hallman valve or one from
Extreme Motorsports. They are easy to make your self but even easier to buy.
Electronic ones tend to be confusing especially if this is your first turbo
project.

14. Last but not least, an intercooler. Ones off an Audi 5000 or even a
stock g60 work great or one off a Starion or one of a Volvo and of course if
you can afford it a nice Spearco. Avoid using Saab 900 intercoolers - they
are a piece of SHIT, unless they're modified to be a single-pass IC. You can
use 2 side-by-side to make a very nice IC.

Ok, time to assemble everything and double-check your supply lines to make
sure have good oiling for the turbo...Set all the specs back to the OEM
settings on the g-60 stuff and start off with about six pounds boost. With
ALL THESE PARTS, you should be able to run 15-18 pounds of boost safely. A
Halmeter or Cyberdyne air-fuel meter will tell you if you are lean or not
always try to maintain around 12.0-1 a/f ratio.If you get too lean (13.5-1
OR LEANER) back out of it. Be sure to listen closely for any pings. Also
always use premium fuel.

Good luck and lets see some time-slips