From: "Dan Smith" <sad_rocc@yahoo.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 11:11 PM
Subject: RE: Snow/winter tires & driving (long, sorry)

> Rats, I was thinking that the studs in the front would help the car turn,
start from a stopped position and generally hold the road better while
non-studded in the back would keep the car from getting sketchy when it's
dry. My only experience with studs was with my dad's old 4dr ford escort. It
had 4 all around and while I could drift and slide around like a mofo when
the road was dry, I don't really want that ability for my rocc. As for cheap
stuff, the tires were Goodyear, just last years model that they had changed
slightly, thus at a closeout price. I've lived in NY all my life until
recently and actually enjoy driving in the snow, so personally I think
blizzacks and the top of the line stuff is just plain overkill. To me, why
pay $100+ per tire when a tire costing $40 does the job as well as you need
it to? Plus, I don't like the whole idea of silicia on the tires. I don't
put sticky Nittos on my car in the summer, why put the equivilant on in the
winter. To whoever started this
>  post, the best thing I think to do is to go to www.tirerack.com, search
what tires they have, read all the reviews/ratings/etc and go from there.
Last I noticed though, their site is kind of a PITA to get searches to find
what you want them to find.

> Dan
>
> With FWD cars you should have the same tires all the way around. It's not
> like the old RWD cars where you can throw some studs in back for traction
> and take off.
>
> Furthermore, I have learned my lesson buying cheapo stuff, even tires. I
> would stick with a name brand that will be able to stand up to any
> warranty/guarantee that comes with the tire. It's sort of like using a
> cheapo oil filter or cheapo disty cap, just not much of a piece of mind
with
> that stuff. I have had some cheapo tires do some strange things to me,
> things that the more expensive tires that I run now have never done (like
go
> flat regularly, have bulges in the sidewalls, etc.).
>
> HTH!
>
> Dave
>
> Dave

I'm