Snow/winter tires & driving (long, sorry)

T. Reed went on and on about snow tires:
> So, I'm thinking about buying a set of snow tires and I would
appreciate
> some advice from those with experience (both using snow tires and
driving
> in the snow)

For occasional snow, you probably don't need real snow
tires.  All-season tires should suffice. Just make sure they
have lots of tread left.  If they're worn down to the warning
bars, they will be useless in snow.

> What's the deal with studs?

Good on ice, but not really necessary if you slow down
and drive with care.

> Thinner tires do better in snow, right? But of course have worse
traction
> when dry..

Correct.  But not really a factor if you stick to standard
sizes on your rims.

> I've been drifting around some crushed-gravel roads (don't worry, I'm
> being extra careful not to harm my 'baby') at high speeds trying to
get a
> feel for controlling the car with less than perfect traction.

That's the best thing -- experience.  Wait until it snows.
Then find an empty, unplowed parking lot and drive
around it.  Feel how much traction you have taking
off from a stop (spin those wheels!). Start off in 2nd
and feel the difference; you'll probably be less likely
to spin your wheels. Get up to speed (which on snow
may be just 10-20 mph) and slam on your brakes;
you'll skid. Do it again but gently apply your brakes;
get a feel for when you skid and when you don't.
Get up to speed again and make a 90 degree turn.
Did you plow straight when you turned the wheel?
You carried too much speed into the turn (that is,
you didn't have enough traction). Try again, but
make the turn more gentle. Try again, but give it gas
when you turn. Try again, but give it some brakes
when you turn.  For some real fun, try again but
pull up on the hand brake (keep the release button
pressed in) while turning. The rear end should kick
out and help you complete the turn. Keep playing
in the snow until you get comfortable with it.  Then
your fears will disappear. The only thing I fear in
snow is the other idiots on the road.

If you are really paranoid about snow, sell the
Scirocco and look for an Audi quattro. You should
be able to pick up a mid-80s 4000 with quattro for
under $1000.  You can window shop here:
http://www.audifans.com/marketplace/view.php?table=cars&type=true
And being from the VW family, the mechanicals
should look familiar, especially the 4-cylinder engine.

Kent
35 years of driving in snow, with front-engine-rear-drive
(Austin-Healeys, MGs, Miata), rear-engine-rear-drive
(air-cooled VW Beetle), front-engine-front-drive (Hondas,
Fords), and the best for snow, front-engine-all-wheel-drive
(Audi 200).