Buying a dismantled block and head - what contents are critical?

Tomorrow, I'm most likely going to be picking up a 3A shortie and TT head that've been torn apart.

Other than the obvious,  block, pistons, wrist pins, crank, I-shaft, rods, is there anything the block must absolutely must come with?  Should I bring a micrometer to measure the pistons? Or can I just insert them through the bore to verify fit?

As for the head, it's supposedly a TT ported hydro 8v head from a Digi II setup, but the running gear is missing. I assume I can use the gear from my CIS hydro head?  IIRC, TT did _not_ use oversize valves like Eurospec and Oettinger - just the typical 40/36 GTi combo. Is that true?

Thanks,

Jeff