OT- What's the difference between older(pre '96) and newer VWoil filters?

Subject line pretty much says it all. Just wondering since two members of
my wife's family have purchased VWs and I noticed on Potterman's site they
require a different filter.  I'm assuming you can use the older ones, since
I did
on my sister's '97, but there must be a reason why there different.

As a side note, my in-laws are diehard Mopar fans that had between my wife her
mother and father, aunt, uncle and two driving cousins 11 different Dodge
or Plymouth
products.  Well scratch two them and add a Golf and New Beetle(and one
cousin really
wants a Jetta-but a free Neon is good deal).  I love it, they are slowly
seeing the light.  Lol.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe