16v timing/something? trouble

In order to force the point that I need a winter beater, my Scirocco (88
16v) died this week, 30 miles from home.  It had been cutting out
occasionally on the freeway, stalling for just a couple seconds, tach
dropping to zero, before it would resume running properly like nothing had
happened.  It quit entirely and refused to restart as I was driving around
town and I had to tow it to the closest place, which was, unfortunately,
Howard Cooper Volkswagen.

So!  They decided that oil leaking into the distributor messed up the Hall
sender and that I should replace both the distributor and the Hall sender to
the tune of $900.  I pulled the distributor and re-epoxied the (broken) Hall
connector, which has been a problem before; I didn't find any significant
oil deposits inside though.  While it was running fine briefly before I
pulled the distributor, it now hardly runs regardless of how I set the
timing, what kind of throttle it gets, etc.  What might I have broken to
cause this?  I've never pulled a distributor before.

Apologies for the long post; I've only got a few days of storage in this
neighboring town in order to fix it.

ian Butler / ian@bluemoon.hplx.net
'88 Scirocco 16v, '87 Vanagon Syncro GL