Turn Signal Project Status

 -----Original Message-----

I tinted both of my Mk1 tails red.  I used VHT Anodizing paint in a
spray can.  It's held up perfectly - the 81's have been on there for
over three years and they still look great.

A few tips if you're thinking of doing the same.  Prep the surface of
the lights until you think they're perfectly clean, then do it again!
:)  I didn't think sanding them would be a good idea just in case the
scratches showed through, but perhaps "roughing" them up very slightly
with a 600 grit paper or something similar would be ok.  If you have a
cracked set or some other taillight, do some experimenting...

Also, I found that too light of a coat made the surface bumpy.  The
trick is to apply just enough so that the paint "flows" to make a smooth
surface.  Use a light bulb close to the taillights when painting so you
can see when and where to stop spraying...  Be careful, cause there's a
very fine line between 'smooth' and 'damn, I got a run'.  It took four
"just enough" coats to make the color uniform.  You'll have to paint
over the red area as well, because you don't want two different red
colors.  In the end, the red is darker, so the overall look has a slight
tint to it.  I actually like it better.   Oh ya, one more thing - if you
haven't shaved your rear side markers, paint them as well, cause they'll
be lighter in color than the tails if you don't!  :)

Mark.
80 S
81 S  ABA/JH/4K