garage heaters

At 12:09 PM 11/27/03 +0000, C Boyko wrote:

>Hey, what do you know about the portable kerosene heaters? I may be able
>to "borrow" one for a long term loan, and ability to move it building to
>building is appealing. (though anyone who's been here would see why a wood
>stove is the obvious choice!)
>Cathy

Well there are two types that I am familiar with: The salamanders and the
good old standard type(don't know what they call them, even the boxes just
call them kerosene heaters).  The salamanders kind of look like a small jet
engine and heat up an area quickly, but downsides are they are very noisy,
have an exposed flame(shooting out the end) and can be a little larger than
the other type.  Now the normal type, is quiet(no noise whatsoever),
the  flame is contained within the unit and is pretty fuel efficient.  It
does take longer to heat up a garage though.  Mine is 24x24, and if I start
it about a 1/2 hour before I plan to work it would be comfortable in there,
and an hour or two later I usually will need to shut it off, or think ahead
and put it on low after the first hour.

John