less torque steer with quaife?

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of P L
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 8:40 AM
To: T. Reed; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: less torque steer with quaife?

Well after I got Ron to Install the Bolt kit and 80% LSD kit on my 9a, I
saw immediate changes....

1) stopped pulling to one side when doing off the line full throttle
pulls...

2) both wheels spin in gravel in first/second instead of having one
wheel pulling, Yanking the car around and me having to overcorrect on
each gear.

3) smoother acceleration feeling, loving the look of the front end
lifting evenly when pushing gears through their pattern on dry pavement.

4) more torque to ground with less "burn tires" syndrome.

5) got great power to pull away to get on /off /pass highway speeds,
where before timing was utterly important (read # 1)

6) prefer 195/60/15 against 205/50/15 with the LSd kit,  with the
15x7/205's  turning and curbves where always a "better hold on tight the
steering" where with 15x7/195's this "I am going to yank back at ya in a
curve feeling is completely gone. not quite sure why but the only change
being the tires I would assume it was the size that made a difference
and 195's make driving the rocco with lsd MUCH more fun than with the
205's in curves as well. go figure.

Wow! What a great testimonial!
Would you mind if I use it on my website?

Are you running 195 60 15 or 195 50 15's?

Getting back to the question, does a Quaife have less torque steer?

Compared to a stock open differential it does have less torque steer.
The Quaife feels more controllable, and having both front wheels pull
you through the turns, makes a huge difference on handling, but there's
still torque steer. The sudden back and forth jerking of the wheel, can
really surprise you at times, when you really get on it. This usually
happens at a slow start, turn, or merge, when you are accelerating
quickly, you can fell the power shift from wheel to wheel. Once you get
used to it, it's really not that big of a big deal...

Performance wise the Quaife is much better than the 80% Pelolok kit, but
the 80% kit practically eliminates torque steer, and the inside
wheelspin, that you get when turning onto a road.

To get the best of both worlds, Gary Peloquin decided to make his
differential using factory Volkswagen trunion shafts, so that you can
use the 80% Pelolok kit on top of the differential, to counter the side
to side torque steer, that you get with any Torsen style differential.

Peter
302.832.8989
http://thescirocco.com