Shifter play

Recently on my 84 I had same problem even after installing a bushing kit etc
-- it turned out to be the nut on the ball piece, which even though appearing
to be tightened down it wasn't quite enough, so that the slot on the ball was
not fully grabbing the tab.  I put a lock washer under the nut and the
excessive looseness went away.

Leo