wrong crank bolt

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Dimitris raptis
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 10:33 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: wrong crank bolt

six months ago ireplaced the T-belt and all seals on my 16v. the dealer
gave me the stretch bolt for the crank for the 8v, ABA, G60 engines (
M14x1.5x33) instead of the 16V one ( M14x1.5x39). Both bolts rated for
same torque and i followed it. the crank gear is tight, doesn't wooble
or
anything. Should i change it ? the only difference between the bolts is
the length ( 4 threads )

I'd change it...

How many threads are engaged on a 16V bolt, probably around 10, that
leaves you with around 6.

Volkswagen only changes, or adds, parts if they have to...
The extra length is to make up for the thicker 16V crank gear and wider
timing belt.

HTH,
Peter
302.832.8989