balancing.

Ok, another simple, somewhat offbase analogy.  Ask any professional
cyclist if he would prefer heavier wheels on his bike for his next race.
You get on a bike with 20 pound wheels, and I'll get on one with 10
pound wheels - there's no way you will expend less energy than me after
50 miles, even at a constant speed.

Mark.

but
> I have a lightened flywheel and my idle is pretty close to rock solid.
> If other people have a rough idle it is my /opinion/ that it is due to
> something else in combination with the flywheel.
>
> As I mentioned, you and I are on different pages here...  I appreciate
the
> help though, I think I need it...  :)
>
> I'd say this falls under the 'negligible, if any' category. Kinda like
> that magnetic fuel saver thing.
>
> Furthermore, the lumpy idle only occurs at.. well, idle. So whenever
> you're moving at a constant speed, the air flow through the engine
stays
> as constant as the position of your accelerator pedal.. regardless of
> flywheel weight. At a constant speed, there are no acceleration forces
> acting on the flywheel or your car, just frictional ones. Mass only
> influences acceleration and deceleration, not constant rotation. There
is
> a negligible effect on frictional force due to the difference in mass.
>
> I'll stop here since I'm kinda repeating what Dan already said.
>

> Don't take Dan's arrogance personally. In the world of engineering,
> mistakes often mean people will die, and it will be 'your' fault.
Think
> about all the things in your daily life that were designed by
engineers
> that could kill you if they were designed improperly-- cars,
airplanes,
> missile silos, power transmission towers, electrical appliances,
bridges,
> dams, nuclear power plants, etc. In the engineering world, mistakes
are
> not tolerated(*), and when they happen, fellow engineers are quick to
> point them out.
>
> A very good point, which is one reason why I chose to chill out a bit,
and
> take a moment to consider all sides a bit better...  I still contend
that
> am right, and I still think he is a bit arrogant, but that is okay...
:)
> [...]
know
> the
> older dubs rock!  I know where you are coming from...
>
> > > flywheel may represent a significant amount of the rotational
inertia
> of
> the
> > > engine, but not a significant amount of the inertia (both linear
and
> > > rotational) of the whole car, especially in the higher gears where
the
> engine
> > > is only turning 3-3.5 times faster than the wheels.
> >
> > True, but the whole car does not push itself along, the engine
does...
> And if
> > you improve the ability of the engine to maintain a given speed,
then IF
> it
> > maintains a given speed, the efficiency is higher...  BTW, the whole
car
> does
> > not have any rotational inertia to speak of, unless it is rolling
end
> over
> > end...  :-)
>
> The car *does* 'push itself along', it has mass and speed.. therefore
> forward momentum. At a constant speed, the engine only generates force
> to counteract the frictional forces that would otherwise slow the car
> down. The net force on the car at a constant speed is zero.
>
> Yes, I agree...

> mass is
> > > at a constant velocity (linear or rotational) it takes no energy
> maintain
> > > that velocity.
> >
> > Do you engineer rockets or something?  We are on earth, where
friction
> is
> > king, and gravity its' gueen...  If that were true, I could coast
from
> > Oklahoma City, to Dallas without any trouble...  Even if I do not
> include
> > friction, there is still gravity, prevailing winds, etc...  I am
> speaking
> of a
> > real world scenario here, or trying to...
>
> It is standard scientific practice to abstract the real world to the
ideal
> (in this case frictionless) case in order to better understand the
forces
> at hand, THEN make adjustments to model the real case.
>
> Agreed.  I guess I was a bit thrown by the indirect insults to see
where
> he
> was...
>
> > Clearly it takes less energy to accelerate a lighter mass, but
> > > to maintain a constant speed requires no energy input so there is
no
> > > difference between a light flywheel and a heavy one.
> >
> > Ummm, like, what?!  We are talking about cars, not space ships...
It
> [...]
> time, but as long as I admit my failure and try again, I have
ultimately
> succeeded...
>
> [ Aside:  Critical Thinking - The disciplined ability and willingness
> assess evidence and claims, to seek a breadth of contradicting as well
as
> confirming information, to make objective judgments on the basis of
well
> supported reasons as a guide to belief and action, and to monitor
one's
> thinking while doing so (metacognition). The thinking process that is
> appropriate for critical thinking depends on the knowledge domain
(e.g.:
> scientific, mathematical, historical, anthropological, economic,
> philosophical, moral) but the universal criteria are: clarity,
accuracy,
> precision, consistency, relevance, sound empirical evidence, good
reasons,
> depth, breadth and fairness.  ]
> Cool definition...  And very true...
>

> > instead work on them , and experience a few things...  You seem a
bit
> too
> far
> > removed from working on them daily, as I do...  And are you
'implying'
> that
> > because you are an engineer, and I am not, that I am wrong?  I may
only
> have
> > two diplommas on my wall, but let's face it...  The most novel
invetions
> come
> > from those who were not trained to 'know better'...
>
> Working on cars, while fun and definitely educational, unfortunately
does
> not make you any better at understanding the physics behind them. Let
me
> clarify as that sounds a little too broad - by physics I mean the mpg
> issue we're discussing. I'm not talking about the motion of pistons
and
> valves.. as there is certainly no better way to understand them than
> work on an engine. As we know from reading the Bentley the layout of
> things is much clearer when they're actually in front of you and not
just
> on the page of a book.
>
> Yes...
>
> > I applaud you on that, if that is what you are attempting to do...
> just
> > hope that you are looking for the 'truth' in its broadest terms, and
not
> just
> > in yours...
>
> Engineering is not meteorology.. when applied correctly, it's about as
> close to 'truth' as you can get. Scientists sometimes get to ignore
the
> real world, but it is the playpen in which all engineers are locked.
They
> don't get to design and build things for an "ideal" world!
>
> Yes, agreed...  I think the only problem we really have here "is a
failure
> to communicate".  No, beyond that...  It is a perception problem...
In