balancing.

Comments within...

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark [mailto:mardak@cogeco.ca]
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 9:49 PM
To: mr.utility@highstream.net; 'T. Reed'
Cc: 'Dan Bubb'; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: balancing.

* ------I am resending this note, as there was not much response, esp.
from
> the sender...  We may, or may not get to the bottom of this
discussion,
> but
> if we do not it won't be from a lack of trying on my part...  :)

We're all trying, you're just not understanding! LOL  :)  I'm not an
engineer, so my ability to try and convert my thoughts into technical
discussion is lacking...

Basically at the heart of your argument you're saying that an engine
with a 12 pound flywheel will require less throttle (and therefore less
fuel) to maintain the same rpm as an engine with an 8 pound flywheel,
right?
* No, or not exactly...  I am saying that you will not have to change the
throttle position as frequently, with road changes, wind, etc...  As in, say
you are at 70...  A strong wind comes up, and you have to make a speed
correction to maintain the same speed...  You have more inertia with the
stock flywheel, therefore you will have to depress the throttle less to
maintain the same speed...  Not only wind of course, but also with slight
hills, overcoming semis, whathaveyou...

It takes energy to spin both flywheels up to 4000 rpm.  It takes MORE
energy to spin the 12 pound flywheel to speed than the 8 pounder.  There
IS more kinetic energy in the heavier flywheel, but it's not free - the
engine used more fuel to spin that heavier flywheel to 4000 rpm.
Yes....  However, we are talking about maintaining speed, not always
accelerating...  You will coast/maintain speed a LOT longer than you will
accelerate...
  On the
flip side, this extra potential kinetic energy (vs a lighter flywheel)
can be used to accelerate the vehicle more, but it can only output what
was input!  So if you used an extra "X" number of Kj of energy to spin
the heavier flywheel to 4000 rpm, that's all that's available as an
advantage over the lighter flywheel to "give back" to accelerating (or
maintaining speed).   This kinetic energy doesn't "regenerate" itself.

           If I understand what you are saying here yes...  Don't ask me to
repeat it, though...  :)

This is why I think fuel mileage will actually be better with a lighter
flywheel.  When you decelerate you're wasting that extra "stored"
kinetic energy of the flywheel as heat.
           Only if you brake...  I am referring to a cruise on the
highway...  That will not happen for some time...
 Plus it takes more energy to
spin it back up to speed when you resume acceleration. You lose in both
cases.  As for maintaining a constant speed, if you were to isolate ONLY
the energy needed to keep the flywheel spinning at a constant 4000 rpm
it would be VERY VERY small compared to the energy "lost" to pumping and
friction of the engine alone.  For this reason I think a mpg difference
between the two engines would be practically immeasurable at a constant
rpm.
             It will depend on driving style, I think...  If you are
cruising over 300 plus miles, you would notice the difference either way...
In town, you would prolly gain mpg, depending on driving syle...

As I said, I'm no engineer, but hopefully someone will chime in with a
few formulas/laws of physics, etc. to prove that a heavier flywheel will
not improve fuel economy.  Actually, I believe science will prove that
the reverse is true...
            (Voice of Don Pardo)"And so the battle raged on...."   :)

Mark.

David, and thanks for entertaining my theories...

There