More guestion of the day, was Re: hydro lifters and cam info

--- Dan Smith <sad_rocc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since this has gone well beyond the simple yes or no I was expecting, I'll provide a bit more
> info. The cam is most likely going to be a 276 going into an RD block with unknown history.
> Here's what Deltacam.com has to say: "1.  Always use new lifters when installing a new camshaft.
> The bottoms of the lifters are spherically convex ground, and the cam lobes are ground with
> taper. The mating of these two surfaces ensures that the lifter will rotate, thus reducing the
> chance of premature wear. If you install used lifters on a new or reground camshaft, early
> failure is almost certain."
>
> Makes me pretty sure I want new lifters, but I figured I'd double-check.

I wouldn't be so sure about needing new lifters.  I am 99.95% sure *our* lifters are flat ground
on the cam face (because I just checked a 16V lifter).  I don't know how VW gets the lifter to
rotate (possibly through having the lobe axial center not on the lifter CL?), or even if that's in
their design at all.  Anyhow, remember Delta's market has probably been big American iron and
that's what they do.  FWIW, I don't recall it *ever* being mentioned that watercooled VW lifters
must be replaced with the cam...in fact, I'd consider it the exception rather than the rule.  Cam
failures (on lobes) on VW engines seem to be incredibly rare.  FWIW, I'd put the cam in and be
happy, were it my car.

$0.03, I need the money, I'm out of work.