1.8 8v jh swap done......no power

OK, so my local vw shop just installed the 1.8 JH engine in my MK1 rocco.
Lets see....stock 1.8 long block, head and block taken down to factory
tolerances, rebuild done, throttle body & intake manifold from JH setup,
pistons balanced, new neuspeed wires & dist. cap.

In a word, it's slow.  Almost slower than the really needing a tune before
it chokes old 1.6 8v that was in my car before hand.  I realize the new
rings need to seat, but it should be faster than that out of the
box....right?  The 1.6 injectors & fuel distributor were used.....super
slow, after it had been tuned.  bigger injectors put in (.049 i
believe).....no help.....richened it up a bit...helped a bit.

The engine feels now like it's waiting for something to happen after 3k.
after 4k it just doesn't do squat. up to about 3k it feels about the same as
my 1.6 was.  Not sure what the cam timing was set at, igintion timing
advanced about 8deg i think.

any suggestions?  as you can imagine i'm rather displeased with the work,
and their lack of working solutions.