  From: joshhignight@techography.net
  To: Scirocco List
  Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2003 6:44 PM
  Subject: [16v] Headgasket failure found, q's on rust in bore!

  Well took the head off my 16v today. Once it was off the h/g failure was obvious. #4 cylinder, the side facing the transmission, h/g was stretched out and coolant seeped in from the rear driver side coolant passage. Any clues on what may have caused this? The h/g stretched enough that the hole for the rear driver side headbolt is a little ripped. Streched out a total of probably 3mm. I can get pictures if anyone is curious.

  The burning of coolant seems to have left a very light haze of rust on the cylinder wall though. Is it possible to get this out without have to pull the stinking block and rebuild?! It's very, very light, but enough to see.

  I'm going to use the metal A3 8v gasket when the head goes back on. I'm assuming this will help allieviate the stretched h/g problem this one had (it was a stock fiber one).

  Anyone with tips, please reply.

  Thanks,
  Joshua

  P.S. I see no damage to the pistons or head from my previous pinging problem serveral months back, unless that's what caused the h/g stretching and eventual failure... Hmm...