phantom grip diffs

Since I'm bound to get in trouble if I try to explain this in my own
words, I will instead quote http://www.torsen.com/general/general_faq.htm:

--
Okay, so tell me how the Torsen differential works in non-technical
jargon!

This, by far, is the most commonly asked question. The Torsen differential
is simply a torque multiplier that works through the use of friction
generated by thrust forces from the internal gearing. It multiplies what
torque is available from the wheel that is starting to spin-up or lose
traction and sends that available torque, multiplied by the TBR, to the
slower turning wheel with the better traction.

What happens when I have a wheel in the air?

As mentioned above, the Torsen differential is a torque multiplier. The
Torsen requires some type of resistance or friction in the system to
function properly. A wheel in the air provides zero torque or friction on
the system and as the Torsen multiplies the available torque, zero, by its
TBR, the end result is still zero. In response to this, we developed the
Torsen T- 2R with pre-load to combat those wheel in the air situations.
--

So, by stepping on the brakes you are simply pre-loading the spinning
wheel as described above. Cool eh?

-Toby