Wow, legit new problem.

Hmmm, according to the diagrams, this is how it should work:

Power gets to the headlight switch via a black/yellow wire coming from the load reduction relay.  Power then goes out from the headlight switch via a white/black wire which heads to the high beam/low beam switch.  When in the load beam position, the power heads out a yellow wire to the fuse box to pin E10.  This wire internal to the fuse box powers fuse 1 and 2 which are for low beams.  When the high beam switch is in the high position, power goes out a white wire to the fuse box to pin D10.  Internal to the fuse box that wire powers fuse 3 and 4.

So, it makes NO sense that you don't have high beams when you get now power to fuse 1 and fuse 4 (is this true no matter what position the high beam switch is in?).  By your testing at the fuse box I would expect that you would have no left low beam and no right highbeam!!! (fuse 1 is for left low, fuse 2 for right low, fuse 3 for left high, fuse 4 for right high).

I suspect, that either the fuse box is not an 82 rocco (however, it looks like from all the older diagrams, that all the "ceramic fuse" type fuse boxes have the same internal routing...so this is not an issue)....

So...you have hacked ass wiring or a partially toasted fuse box.  The circuit as you see is pretty simple *outside* the fuse box...only a couple of wires involoved.  Most of the "routing" of power is done internal of the fuse box.

Good luck Shawn!  If you need more help, let me know, I've gotten pretty good with the Bentley wiring diagrams.

--
Eric
www.VintageWatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg