Swap out intake cam with an exhaust?

In my experience, YES.

I modified an exhaust cam and installed it on my 1.8 16v...
showed gains similar to my euro intake cam.  I was thrilled
with the results, just surprised how agressive the idle sounded.  ;)

I did not make a new woodruff slot... just lined up the cam
just like the stock intake cam originally was... only thing I
*had* to do was advance the cam timing around 4 degrees to get
back some bottom end... but it sure did pull nicely!

Ben