what should i do? (motor guru's wanted) *long*

--- Paul Maione <paulmaione@videotron.ca> wrote:
> just don't want to punch it silly and then have those thrust bearings fall
> out. i'm going to test fit thrust washers and then see what my best alternative
> is...

I have never heard of thrust bearings falling out, but I don't work at a dealer.  I *have* heard
of countless 250K+ miles VW's, many of which were autocrossed or otherwise 'rode hard' and have no
bottom end problems whatsoever, every one of them with factory-fit 3-piece thrust bearings.  My
$0.02 says trust the factory and those in the know...Chris, Potterman, etc.  That's what I'd do.