bottom end inspection...

alright.

i've been blowing my mind for days now. i came to
the conclusion that the crank is loose. after work today
i dropped the oil first to inspect it. no metal shavings or
anything of that nature. so i move on to take off the pan,
and after inspecting that area, i didn't notice anything out
of the usual.

i got a friend to push in the clutch pedal while the pan was
off and i could see the crank clearly. it moved. enough.

i went first to check the bolts for the main bearing caps, they
we're tight. i took them all off to inspect the bearings in them
and they're all in pretty much perfect condition.  not mind blowingly
perfect, but there are no scratches or anything that i can feel on
the crank.

what everyone is telling me to do is replace the thrust washers,
but i really know exactly where they are. i know what they look like, but
not sure on their location. i didn't look in the bentley because i was
kinda in a hurry to leave work. i will inspect furthermore tommorow.

if i remember correctly they're in between the bearing on the main
cap, which is number 3?

should i bother changing the bearings again if they're in good
condition?
will i have to drop the crank or the tranny or change them?

thanks

paul