Brake question...

Cathy,

I recently rebuilt one of my prop valves using the bad 16v=
 version, and a couple old 8v versions. The differences are the=
 springs, nozzle and such inside. The housings (and o-rings) are=
 the same. I couldn't find a properly fitting o-ring in the=
 stores, hence me scavanging the 8v parts. One thing I realized=
 is that the o-ring really needs to be seated down into the=
 female part of the housing between the tow havles, not on the=
 outside. If you try to tighten the housings together and not=
 worry about the o-ring being squished into the female part when=
 you tighten, it will just pop out and not seal anything. I found=
 that by lubricating the ring and the housings with brake fluid=
 and very carefully and slowly tightening things down i was able=
 to get the o-ring to seat properly between the two halves. It's=
 a bit of a bear, but it will work. When done, you should barely=
 see the o-ring sitting in the gap between the two halves (it'll=
 be sunk down between them).

Most common problem when putting things back together is to get=
 the o-ring almost right, then a little portion pops out, and you=
 have to start over. This is where the brake fluid helps, so the=
 ring doesn't catch on the housing.

HTH's.

Joshua

Message: 18