Ground strap .. to the hood??

--=====================_570069==.ALT

Good thing I stop at 9....
I believe Allyn's explanation is correct.

-Raffi

At 06:29 PM 3/29/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I, uh, think it's to prevent static build-up when you put the tenth or
>eleventh coat of wax on the hood.....This is only applicable to about
>three Scirocco owners on this list.  None of whom is me.....or Shawn.
>
>Larry
>sandiego16v

--=====================_570069==.ALT

Good thing I stop at 9....<br>
I believe Allyn's explanation is correct.<br><br>
-Raffi<br><br>
At 06:29 PM 3/29/2003 -0800, you wrote:<br>
think it's to prevent static build-up when you put the tenth or eleventh
coat of wax on the hood.....This is only applicable to about three
Scirocco owners on this list.&nbsp; None of whom is me.....or
Shawn.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
<b>From:</b> <a href="mailto:treed2@u.washington.edu";>T. Reed</a> <br>
<b>To:</b>
So I've been wondering about this for a while.. my 87 16v has a factory<br>
ground strap from the body to the hood. What could this be for?? I don't<br>
have anything electrical on my hood.<br><br>
The only two possible explanations I could come up with are:<br>
1) the ground strap is for the heated washer nozzles that were available<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; in the cold weather package and they screwed up at the factory and<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; installed them on all cars not just the cold weather ones. I find this<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; unlikely because why wouldn't they just run an extra wire to the<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; heater?<br><br>
2) it's there to protect you somehow in case a downed power line lands on<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; your hood. that seems pointless because the hood is bolted to the body<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; anyway, and if there's a layer of insulative paint on the hood anyway,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't think a layer of paint on the bolts/brackets between the hood<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; and body is going to prevent that kind of juice from getting through.<br><br>
or<br><br>
3) it has something to do with preventing static electricity buildup from<br>
&nbsp; cosmic pixie dust rubbing on the car at 120 mph, which could cause an<br>
&nbsp; arc and start a fire inside the engine compartment.<br><br>
Anybody know what the real story is?<br><br>
-Toby<br><br>