From: Dan Smith [mailto:sad_rocc@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 12:18 PM
To: Calimus
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: OT: important windows security update

Correct, a friend of mine was recently portscanned 45 times and the method
to exploit this is both easily and widely available. I assume you got all
that info from the FAQ, there's more in the NT situation and such as well,
along with what actually is the cause of the problem and what port 135 does.
As far as I know, blocking that port won't affect anything. But yes,
definitely an update to get as a DOS attack is annoying. While you're at it,
do a complete update.

Dan

 Calimus <calimus@techography.net> wrote:

This is an impoortant update as I know many of you use DSL/Cable and
have either win2k or XP connceted directly which leaves you at risk. If
you have WinNT 4 and it's behind a firewall or proxie, set it to block
port 135 (If I remember correctly) and then your NT boxen will be safe.
MS is not going to release a patch for NT as it would require the
"Impossible" as far as MS is concerned.

Make no doubt, this is serious and isn't just one of those security
holes that only large companies should worry about.

William

Dan Smith wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS03-010.asp

> Affects win2k and winXP and win NT 4, thought there's no patch for
> that OS. Allows someone to do DOS attacks and actually shut down your
> computer.
>
> Dan

  _____

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo!
<http://rd.yahoo.com/platinum/evt=8162/*http://platinum.yahoo.com/splash.htm
l> Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live
<http://rd.yahoo.com/platinum/evt=8162/*http://platinum.yahoo.com/splash.htm
l> on your desktop!

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2F56F.88E550E0

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1141" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=414181721-28032003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Port
135 should be blocked anyways.&nbsp; It doesn't matter if you win 2k/xp box is
patched or not.&nbsp; </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Dan Smith
  [mailto:sad_rocc@yahoo.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, March 28, 2003 12:18
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> Calimus<BR><B>Cc:</B>
  scirocco-l@scirocco.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: OT: important windows security
  update<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <P>Correct, a friend of mine was recently portscanned 45 times and the method
  to exploit this is both easily and widely available. I assume you got all that
  info from the FAQ, there's more in the NT situation and such as well, along
  with what actually is the cause of the problem and what port 135 does. As far
  as I know, blocking that port won't affect anything. But yes, definitely an
  update to get as a DOS attack is annoying. While you're at it, do a complete
  update.
  <P>Dan
  <P>&nbsp;<B><I>Calimus &lt;calimus@techography.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:
  <BLOCKQUOTE
  style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">This
    is an impoortant update as I know many of you use DSL/Cable and<BR>have
    either win2k or XP connceted directly which leaves you at risk. If<BR>you
    have WinNT 4 and it's behind a firewall or proxie, set it to block<BR>port
    135 (If I remember correctly) and then your NT boxen will be safe. <BR>MS is
    not going to release a patch for NT as it would require the<BR>"Impossible"
    as far as MS is concerned.<BR><BR>Make no doubt, this is serious and isn't
    just one of those security<BR>holes that only large companies should worry
    about.<BR><BR>William<BR><BR>Dan Smith wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-010.asp<BR>&gt;
    <BR>&gt; Affects win2k and winXP and win NT 4, thought there's no patch
    for<BR>&gt; that OS. Allows someone to do DOS attacks and actually shut down
    your<BR>&gt; computer.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
    Dan<BR>&gt;<BR><BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Scirocco-l
    mailing
    list<BR>Scirocco-l@scirocco.org<BR>http://neubayern.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l</BLOCKQUOTE>
  <P><BR>
  <HR SIZE=1>
  Do you Yahoo!?<BR><A
  href="http://rd.yahoo.com/platinum/evt=8162/*http://platinum.yahoo.com/splash.html";>Yahoo!
  Platinum</A> - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, <A
  href="http://rd.yahoo.com/platinum/evt=8162/*http://platinum.yahoo.com/splash.html";>live
  on your desktop</A>!</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2F56F.88E550E0--