From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Rick Kellner
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 8:34 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: interesting coolant stuff

The site below has some extensive discussion on coolant, anti freeze and
corrosion inhibitors.  It also discusses the mix used in VW and who
makes it.  Here is a quote about 1/4 of the way down the text.=20

http://www.nwlink.com/~vdb/vw/Engine/Anti_Freeze

"COOLANT/ANTI-FREEZE:   (1983.5 - 1991 models only)
   Recommended coolant/anti-freeze:
      Autobahn ZVW-237-104
        antifreeze & summer coolant
        Phosphate free formula for use in
        Volkswagen & Audi water cooled vehicles
      Ethylene Glycol based, Phosphate free
        recommended mixture:
           not less than 40 percent coolant, not more than 60 percent.
      sold at VW dealers only.
      manufactured by BASF  Questions? Call 1-800-669-2273
      BASF Customer Service:  1-800-445-4134
      BASF Marketing Service: 1-800-367-9865
      BASF Technical Service: 1-800-521-9100
      Info from Marketing Service:
        BASF makes a 'generic' brand of GUARANTEED Phosphate Free
        coolant called ZEREX EXTREME 450.  It has been approved by
        VW, BMW, MB, Audi, Saab, and Volvo.  It is also GUARANTEED for
        four (4) years and 50,000 miles.  They said you CANNOT mix this
        with any other coolant; you must flush the system and fill with
        the new coolant/water mix."