interesting coolant stuff

> Alan Stamper wrote:
>
> I read something interesting a few years back.. Evidently Dex-Cool,
> that orange stuff, works a bit differently for corrosion
> protection.  I don't know exactly how but the claim was that the
> green stuff had something in it that was actually abrasive and that
> the orange stuff didn't.  One of the benefits of the orange stuff
> was supposed to be the fact that waterpumps lasted a hell (5X?) of a
> lot longer because the additives weren't in there to chew them up.

<snip>

It's SILICA that is abrasive in old style coolant, it rubs seal to
death and is prob. the main cause (right up there with stiff belts
drawn too tight) of weepy waterpumps.

Check the label of the orange stuff next time; silica free. Prob.
partly the reason the orange stuff seems to creep out around hoses and
cause that scabby crust as well.

btw- Yep, water conducts better than coolant, 70/30 water to coolant
seems like a good nominal minimum.

I've been using no more than 50/50 orange phosphate free & distilled
water for many years now with no ill affects, other than slight leaks
and crusting around old hoses were there is pre-existing scale/
calcification.  After running awhile I top off with straight distilled
water so the amount of coolant drops a bit.

I usually flush and refill every two years.

TBerk
ps- Pls trim those replies, the threads get real long; pretty bad for
the digest guys.