New Exhaust System Advice

begin  quote on Sat, 22 Mar 2003 22:52:29 -0800
by "Rabbit16v" <Rabbit16v@attbi.com>
> I believe he meant "rush out of the valves" not rust but this doesn't
> make sense.  If the exhaust would come out faster it wouldn't cause
> over heating. What it would cause is an improper pressure causing the
> exhaust to just puff out without any type of pattern or consistancy.
> I had TT system (racing dp and dynocrap muffler) that didn't have
> enough back pressure because I'd blow the muffler out every few weeks.
>  Once I got a decent muffler the engine
> pepped up quite a bit.  I can only say that it must of been because of
> the greater amount of back pressure the new muffler created.

More efficient breathing causes more air to pass through the engine. If
the fuel delivery system doesn't match this with more fuel the air/fuel
ratio would lean out, burn hotter and hence cause overheating. It would
also burn faster causing pre-ignition. Not healthy.

This is not a problem with air-metered fuel injection like K-jet. It
measures how much air goes in and matches this with the right quantity
of fuel. As long as you don't exceed the fuel delivery capability of the
injection you should be OK.

This has been discussed on the list recently

--Andrew

--
http://cemetery.homeunix.org