eliminating coolant expansion tank(why do we need it?)

The only disad is a fair bit of reduced cooling
capacity. The resovoir gives the coolant a place to
expand as it heats up. Without the resovoir, you need
to leave some air in the system, which will compress
to give the coolant room to expand.

That air should stay in the radiator, but if that air
pocket somehow manages to move out of the radiator and
into the block or head, you'll end up with hot-spots.
Some types of cars quickly develop MAJOR damage if
there's any air in the coolant system. Early VW's
don't seem to care.

Personally, I wouldn't do it if you're running
anything much higher than a moderately-modified 8v
engine. I would definitely NEVER do it on any
forced-induction engine. They need all the cooling
capacity they can get from the radiator, even if they
don't get air into the engine passages.

YMMV!

Neal