suspension update/tires

me and william put on my new suspension last weekend (#3 in a year). put in
h&r race springs, kept my bilstein sports, replaced tie rod ends, ball
joints, steering rack bushing (autotech sent me the wrong size poly
bushing--much dremeling to make it fit) and used newly assembled dasher
mounts.  i have an autotech hollow front sway that's waiting on a bracket to
go on.  the car handled better, but still not as responsive as i'd like.
part due to mis-alignment, part would be fixed by swaybar, and maybe a bit
because of the POS general tires i've had on there since i had the car i
thought. today i took it to get aligned/new tires mounted and put on my old
rims with yoko avs (nearly bald) rubber for the drive. damn! the car felt
TOTALLY different. way more responsive; i couldn't believe the difference.
more noticeably than everything else i'd changed thus far. anyway, put on
new yoko evs100's and it's a bit less responsive than the avs's. i'm
thinking it's because of the difference in tread wear. point being that the
tires make a HUGE difference in the feel of the car, and not just at the
limit.  both tires were the same size, btw. notes;

--my castor for some reason was 0.5' on both sides; specs are 1.83 +/-0.5.
mechanic didn't know what to make of it. all i could think of was bent
control arm/body, but i wouldn't think it would affect both sides
equally--does the lower suspension affect castor?
--race springs/bilsteins lower the car a LOT; i now have maybe an inch of
tire/fender clearance, whereas with the shine springs i had 2-3". i think
the dasher mounts have something to do with this, but i'm not crazy about
it. otoh, it doesn't bottom out like i thought it would. overall, the race
springs are surprisingly drivable.  not nearly as harsh as i thought they'd
be, and the car is more responsive with this setup.  i'm curious to see what
the swaybar will do, once it's on.  i'm not driving it too hard now because
of the new tires+fear of oversteer (big rear bar still on there).

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...