what constituts a bad motor mount?

--0-1866351225-1048035925=:5887

When I replaced my engine a few months ago I only replaced the passenger side motor mount, as it was the only one with visible damage.  I still have more vibrations than I'd like though, and am wondering what exactly constitutes a bad motor mount?  If it has no cracks or tears is it just/nearly as good as a new one?  Thanks-

Rob