need help, can't find the running problem 16v

This might sounds stupid but take a look at your electrical system.
Especially your grounds - VWs are notorious for having poor factory
grounds..

I just drove home yesterday with my coolant gauge pegged and reverse
lights on because my main ground cable got loose (it was a quick fix
about a year ago with a self-tapping screw). Weird stuff happens when you
have a bad ground. My starter wouldn't click so I had to push start the
car but there was plenty of battery power and I could turn on my stereo,
blower, high beams, etc.

I put in a new ground and polished up all the ground lugs and the car
starts right away and it has a bit more power too... maybe the spark plugs
are getting a good ground now ;)

I've noticed from past ground problems that they tend to stick out like a
sore thumb when the car is cold. When it warms up they sort-of go away..
not sure why this is but your problem sounds a little bit like that.

HTH

-Toby