F**k - of all the things that can break

"with a stethoscope or screwdriver-in-the-ear..."

Just to clarify, Make sure you put the plastic end of the screwdriver
against your ear and the metal bit against the engine. Otherwise it might
hurt.

Thats right yeah Ron?

                      Ron Pieper
                      <rapieper@yahoo.co        To:       "Tobias ><", scirocco-l@scirocco.org
                      m>                        cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: F**k - of all the things that can break
                      scirocco-l-admin@s
                      cirocco.org

                      17/03/2003 10:48

Diagnosis first!!!

First step: do a compression check.

Then close in on the source of the rattling with a stethoscope or
screwdriver-in-the-ear...

If from the bottom end area, drain the oil and look for chunks/flakes of
unwelcome metal.  If you
find them, pull the pan and check #3 main bearing, that's there the thrust
bearings are.  The
thrust bearings are four flat, semicircular pieces that fit alongside the
main bearing.  THey
prevent excess axial motion of the crank.  Not hard to replace...provided
nothing else is damaged.

Ron