digifiz thoughts

It can be done... the speed sensor that bolts up to the tranny produces a
pulse train whose rate corresponds to the speed of the vehicle. The Digifiz
receives those pulses and counts them vs. time to determine the speed in
KM/Hr. Since speed in KM and Miles is a simple ratio and zero is zero the
simplest way to do this is to build a small box that receives the pulses
from the speed sensor, processes them and outputs pulses at a different
rate, a rate that corresponds to MPH.

Not putting a lot of thought in it I come up with this idea if speed is
determined by pulse frequency. It a two part conversion. First take the
input signal and ignoring the pulse width do a frequency to voltage
conversion. now take that voltage thru an amplifier with variable gain and
run the converted voltage into a voltage to frequency converter. You may
need to use a PWM here instead but I don't know since I have never seen the
signals... I'm only guessing. Adjusting the gain and possibly the offset
you should be able to calibrate the display to show MPH.

Now if the Digifiz measures pulse widths for speed, which I seriously doubt
but is possible, you could do the same thing but you would have to do a PW
to voltage conversion and defiantly use a PWM at the output.

It really isn't as hard as I made it sound... you are talking about 3 IC
and a handful of resistors and a potentiometer. All of the parts can be
purchased thru Jamaco or Digikey or any other on-line electronics parts house.

I'll add this to my list of projects...

-Raffi