From: "Cathy Boyko" <losinit@usa.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 5:54 AM
Subject: WAY OT: test drive

Test drive:
Well, unlike others who test drive NICE cars so they can lust after them
even
if they can't afford them, I took the other route, driving something that
would assure me that I already owned the right cars.

The victim? The mighty, awe inspiring Pontiac Firefly...come on., you all
know
you want to drive one.

(Hit delete now if you're gonna gripe)

Impressions:

Appearance: It was dark, and the car was black, so it looked okay. Neon
washer
nozzles added a bit of interest.
Steering: Well, the steering wheel had that "grip free", big enough for a
bus
feel, and the manual steering effectively aimed the car about where you
wanted
it, most of the time, sort of.
Suspension: sing along: rolling, rolling, rolling...keep that Firefly
rolling...
Tin can rating: about .0005 % above that of the original Austin Mini. I
actually had a few moments when "I'm gonna die" DIDN'T cross my mind.
Shift linkage: Acceptable, but naturally, reverse is wrongly located.
Power: With the mighty Singer engine under there (at least it reminded me of
the sewing machine, I didn't look to see if in fact it is a team of
gerbils),
it slipped forward effortlessly, and actually moved along fairly well. God
alone knows where the power is in the rpm band, no tach was provided by the
General. It will remain one of those great automotive mysteries to ponder
when
roaring down open roads. No, change that, I doubt I'll give it another
thought.
Brakes: Yep,it brakes just like any large car should, step on it, wait a
while, you slow down. Hard to comment on fade, there wasn't much grip to
start
with.
Lights: Unlike my projection beams which often turn street lights out, this
one actually turned one ON. Worse than my NA quads in the Rocc with bad
grounds and a few bulbs out.
Engine sound: Enhanced by some sort of leak and a big exhaust tip, it still
didn't sound good.

It was a blast to drive and laugh that hard. Sad part is, I could actually
drive one if I had to, better than driving a land yacht. It was sort of fun.
No I'm not considering one, but the thought of what could be stuffed under
the
hood did cross my mind, the thing must weigh about two pounds. And it'd be
fun
to really rice one out.

Sorry to have wasted your time. I'll have some Rocco stuff shortly!
Cathy