Problems Problems Problems (long i suspect)

--0-1925123160-1047156111=:4709

Where to start. I have just replaced the head gasket for the second time in 10 months. Lasted about 150 miles and has gone again.

On both previous occasions the piece between 1 & 2 was missing. Its making the same noise but as yet I havent had the head off again. She goes but its not making power.

When the head came off last time the wall between 1 & 2 instead of having a 90 to the flat had a slope. So the head was skimmed 8 thou then ported, polished and flowed.

Engine was put back together again and at 1st wouldnt rev past 4000. At this point the overheating came up. Whenever you revved it up past 3000 ish and more than say 50 mph it would overheat!!

Also there was massive pressure in the coolant hoses.

anyway - cured the rev problem - blocked air intake - so simple!! Revved through the range lovely. Travelling home all is well until get past 60 mph for a couple of miles then the needle goes from 10 oclock to 3 in 2 miles , blows the cap off and dumps 4 litres on the floor.

Also water and oil seeping out from head gasket at no 1 cylinder end. General nightmare of cooloing, refilling and overheating occurs on 35 mile trip home. This is when the 2nd head gasket failed.

Today, i flushed, reverse flushed, descaled, flushed, descaled and reverse flushed the engine, heater matrix and rad. After this i refilled the system but  could get only 4 litres into the system. However i ran her up to temp. The fan came on, all the hoses were hot and pressured about right. She sat about 10 o'clock only risinto 12 when the heater was turned to cold. Ther heater blows hot fine. so iroad tested her and all was well. I ran up and down the motorway at speed with the heater blowing hot and cold and she stayed between 10 & 12. Got back. Coolant levels unchanged. Havent looked noe the cars cold as its dark now.

But - she only fires on 3 cylinders - i dont know which one it is but i reckon it will be No 1. Can anyone shed light on why the head surface next to the gasket is being worn, why the gasket fails in the same place and why it only starts on 3. the 4th will kick in after say 5-10 seconds.

After the head skiming the cam timing is about 1/2 tooth out. The rest is spot on. it has alightened flywheel too

Next up - rear brakes. Mk2 Golf 226 mm rear discs with MK3 rear calipers, stainless hoses and Scirocco 16v prop valves, late mk2 Golf 16v mc and servo.

The drivers side rear (RHD) comes on 1st slewing the car to the right briefly before the other side catches up. Its not hard to catch but on a wet greasy lefthander at night it could kill me. I have bled and rebled the sytem. The calipers were new about 12 months ago. In fact the entire set up other than the stubs was brand new.

There are more but im unbelievably tired after 9 hours straight in the rain and using a hosepipe. Why i didnt put on the wet suit i have no idea.  ;-)

Anyway

Cheers

Andy Holmes

91 Scirocco Scala Inj
83 Jetta 2.1

---------------------------------

--0-1925123160-1047156111=:4709

<P>Where to start. I have just replaced the head gasket for the second time in 10 months. Lasted about 150 miles and has gone again.</P>
<P>On both previous occasions the piece between 1 &amp; 2 was missing. Its making the same noise but as yet I havent had the head off again. She goes but its not making power.</P>
<P>When the head came off last time the wall between 1 &amp; 2 instead of having a 90 to the flat had a slope. So the head was skimmed 8 thou then ported, polished and flowed.</P>
<P>Engine was put back together again and at 1st wouldnt rev past 4000. At this point the overheating came up. Whenever you revved it up past 3000 ish and more than say 50 mph it would overheat!!</P>
<P>Also there was massive pressure in the coolant hoses.</P>
<P>anyway - cured the rev problem - blocked air intake - so simple!! Revved through the range lovely. Travelling home all is well until get past 60 mph for a couple of miles then the needle goes from 10 oclock to 3 in 2 miles , blows the cap off and dumps 4 litres on the floor.</P>
<P>Also water and oil seeping out from head gasket at no 1 cylinder end. General nightmare of cooloing, refilling and overheating occurs on 35 mile trip home. This is when the 2nd head gasket failed.</P>
<P>Today, i flushed, reverse flushed, descaled, flushed, descaled and reverse flushed the engine, heater matrix and rad. After this i refilled the system but&nbsp; could get only 4 litres into the system. However i ran her up to temp. The fan came on, all the hoses were hot and pressured about right. She sat about 10 o'clock only risinto 12 when the heater was turned to cold. Ther heater blows hot fine. so iroad tested her and all was well. I ran up and down the motorway at speed with the heater blowing hot and cold and she stayed between 10 &amp; 12. Got back. Coolant levels unchanged. Havent looked noe the cars cold as its dark now.</P>
<P>But - she only fires on 3 cylinders - i dont know which one it is but i reckon it will be No 1. Can anyone shed light on why the head surface next to the gasket is being worn, why the gasket fails in the same place and why it only starts on 3. the 4th will kick in after say 5-10 seconds.</P>
<P>After the head skiming the cam timing is about 1/2 tooth out. The rest is spot on. it has alightened flywheel too</P>
<P>Next up - rear brakes. Mk2 Golf 226 mm rear discs with MK3 rear calipers, stainless hoses and Scirocco 16v prop valves, late mk2 Golf 16v mc and servo.</P>
<P>The drivers side rear (RHD) comes on 1st slewing the car to the right briefly before the other side catches up. Its not hard to catch but on a wet greasy lefthander at night it could kill me. I have bled and rebled the sytem. The calipers were new about 12 months ago. In fact the entire set up other than the stubs was brand new.</P>
<P>There are more but im unbelievably tired after 9 hours straight in the rain and using a hosepipe. Why i didnt put on the wet suit i have no idea.&nbsp; ;-)</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Anyway</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Cheers</P>