When/why we need x-member bracing

--0-1527936189-1046856805=:27920

 Rabbit16v <Rabbit16v@attbi.com> wrote:
Congratulations!! You have figured out that manufacturers (in general, not
just VW) are ALWAYS trying to find ways to cut corners. VW probably figured
that their cars were only lasting (on average) about 120 - 150K and figured
"why the heck should be make them to last 20 years when they don't last that
long". So, they thin the metal a little, use a cheaper but theoretically
'just as strong' metal and viola! A car that is cheaper to make, costs
more, more pocket padding!! It isn't a new revelation that cars get cheaper
as they go. Even the BMWs and Mercedes and Lexus, etc. more plastic, more
cheezy stuff etc. Sure, they may be more comfortable but I remember when
Mercedes and BMW had REAL wood on the dashes and used leather on the sides
and backs of the seats too! Or, didn't have everything that you touch made
out of plastic. I bet that if you did the research you would find that they
put less into their cars these days even with all the creature comforts when
the cost of cars has gone up about 400% over the last 20 to 25 years. I
would say, though, that of all the automotive companies that have been
around for 50 years or more, the German companies are the ones who still
take a lot of pride in their workmanship and, even though they make gobs of
money, seem to be more interested in turning out top of the line cars than
cutting the corners to make an extra penny per car.

I have owned some newer VWs (well, mid to late eighties) but would never
want to keep one. I have and will always use late 70's VWs for all my
projects especially if they have any kind of frame twisting power! Just my
opinion!

Dave

Man, I agree 100%. THey just ain't made like they used to.

Dan