  From: Brian Wagner=20
  To: Rick Alexander ; The list=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 4:30 PM
  Subject: Re: crossmember update (more pics..)

  I was actually asking the question aren't bolted connections stronger? =
I have heard this from different sources and was trying to get some =
clarification. If welding so why are some many things bolted together?

  And for simplicity for the common owner doesn't have a welder, but =
usually owns the required wrenches.=20

  It's all good.

  =20

   Rick Alexander <ralexander03@snet.net> wrote:=20

    Better than welding, how? If the horizontal member is hollow then =
welding will be stronger. If it is solid (read heavy) then bolting might =
be better. Proper weld penetration could be stronger dependant upon the =
application.

    Not that the government knows anything but answer me this. Why is it =
that in Connecticut if you try to register a home built trailer they =
will not allow any frame members to be bolted together. They all must be =
welded.

    I also beg to differ with you on your contention that it is simpler. =
One piece welded vs. ten pieces bolted (counting washers).

    Rick Alexander
      ----- Original Message -----=20