more info on why my compression is bad...(longish)

--0-1164506449-1046727850=:65921

First off THANKS to all who have chimed in so far!  To recap, I have 135psi in all cylinders on my JH 8v, rebuilt 10k ago.   A wet test increases my readings to 140-145psi evenly.   A few miles after the rebuild I had 155psi in all cylinders, these readings were taken with a different tester however(a crappy universal-seal type, which I'd think would give lower readings?).  I was hoping my readings would INCREASE after my rings were better seated, but apparently thats a NO!   Anyway I'm not happy at all with this diminishing compression.

My engine has low power,  noticeably less than from when BEFORE it was rebuilt.  Also a lot of white smoke always comes out the exhaust(which I attributed to the freezing weather) , and I lose coolant, quite a bit actually.  I do know this is at least in part due to a coolant leak near the waterpump(which is new).  However, I don't think I have a bad headgasket because my compression is even across the board.  My oil is coolant-free.  I also recently replaced the headgasket(I had to remove the head in order to drill out a broken exh. stud).  How worried should I be about my low compression or burning oil(no indication of that on the plugs, but I guess that could be due coolant in the cylinders?)  The plugs look excellent other than a white tinge on the L-shaped part, above the electrode.  What is going on!?  Shouldn't I be able to beat a 3cyl Geo Metro by more than half a car length!?  A very special thank you to all who have read this far!!

-Rob

P.S. Could my power problems be due to having the wrong distrib. cap?  The one I have on there now is "adjustable", you can wiggle and spin it(to an extent).  I'm pretty sure it's an pre '84.5 Distrib, but the weird thing is my pre '84 plug wires go right into the cap just fine?  Whats the diff between the two caps/distribs?