driving impressions(long)

Doolbnroht@aol.com wrote:

> today and yesterday i went on test drives, convinced i need a new car. the scirocco needs more creature comforts and i am tired of wondering when my wheel bearings,cv joints, timing belt, waterpump....etc.. are going to go out on me. i want a small reliable car.
>
> -mazda-
<snip>

The Mazda Protégé we looked at (GF & I) seemed really wimpy compared
to the Subaru Impreza. Passed on it. YMMV as far as look and feel, I
haven't tried the 'speed' version yet.

> -subaru-
>      -impreza wrx sedan- wow! everyone knows all about this car. all i can say is that it is awesome. handling, awd, turbo, tourqe, and hp.. sexy blue color and multitudes of upgrades avalible. 0% financing through subaru for 24 months... at $27k the most expensive of the group, payments would kill you. also no dealer option for leather interior.
<snip>

> later!
> -alan

GF ended up surprising me with not the regular Impreza wagon but the
WRX; "Well as long as I was buying I might as well get the additional
power...". :]) You should be comparing the regular Mazda against the
non turbo Subaru for a better comparison.

You might be able to get a really decent initial cost on last year's
leftovers on the dealer's lot seeing as the new ones (with revised
headlights) are on the horizon.

btw- the WRX she bought is a wagon, and an Auto. (ll you need to do
drop it down a gear or two to keep it in the power band).  It's still
pretty nice though- getting on the freeway is effortless, zipping by
slow pokes is confidence inspiring, making the airport connection with
four people and a load of luggage in the nick of time is, well, fun.

The Mini seems like a good second car, if you can get by with say a
Miata the Mini will be that much bigger.

TBerk