why is my compression bad? :(

the lack of power is due to you not having enough valves ;) a 10 psi drop
isn't a lot.  don't know what the specs are for the 8v, but if the pressures
are even on a newly rebuilt engine, there's nothing to worry about. did you
use the same gauge for both readings? also, if this was *immediately* after
the rebuild, you probably had some assembly lube in there sealing off the
chambers.

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...